About Friends of the Library
The five local jurisdictions that support the Jefferson-Madison Regional Library system cover the basic services and programs for library patrons. A major purpose of the Friends of the Library is to generate additional funding for such things as:
- summer reading programs for children and young adults, including rewards and small “achievement” prizes
- funding for enhancement of the various collections of the library system (books, audio-visual materials, etc.)
- additional funding for each library’s individual needs and support of local book review programs
- providing major grants when new branches are opened (e.g., Crozet, Greene)
- provided a major grant for the acquisition of a new Bookmobile in 2017
- annual financial support to the Virginia Festival of the Book
- funding of the two-hour parking for patrons of Central Library who use the Market Street garage
- providing the funding for the monthly book review/newsletter Book Page
In July of 1992, the Friends of the Jefferson Madison Regional Library created the Library Endowment Fund with the Charlottesville Albemarle Community Foundation. Starting with an initial gift of $ 20,000 from the Friends in honor of Jane and Art Hess, long term volunteers with the Friends and the “heart and soul” of the annual Book Sale, the Endowment Fund has grown from that initial $ 20,000 to well over $950,000. The growth represents three sizable bequests, annual gifts from the Friends and countless donations from individuals and groups over the intervening 15 years.
The purpose of the Fund is to support the charitable and educational purposes of the Friends and its affiliated agencies, including the library. The Fund is not used to replace existing and future public funding for JMRL or its State Aid book budget.
Directors, Officers and Staff
Elizabeth (Libby) S. Carpenter: Director. Term expires June 2019
Nancy Damon: Director. Term expires June 2019
Melissa Dickens: Director. Term expires June 2018
Fran Feigert: Director. Term expires June 2018.
Anne Hemenway: Vice-President, Term expires June 2019
Sharon Heyka: Director. Term expires June 2018.
Ted Magilley: Director. Term expires June 2018.
Peter McIntosh: Treasurer. no term limit
Liza Millet: Corresponding Secretary. Term expires June 2018.
Tim F. Jost Tolson: Director. Term expires June 2019.
Anthony Townsend: President. Term expires June 2019.
Karyn Trumbull: Recording Secretary. Term expires June 2019.
Thomas Allan Whitlock: Director. Term expires June 2018.
John Halliday: Regional Library Director. Ex officio member of the Friends’ Board
Peter Manno: Book Sale Manager
Zac W. Tolson: Assistant Book Sale Manager
Friends of JMRL Board meetings are at the Gordon Avenue Library at 5:30pm. The board meets four times a year, on the third Thursday of the month. The Board’s next meeting is on Sept 21, 2017.
Friends of JMRL Bylaws (PDF)